Dates and Feescontact us immediately.
Aims of the Assessment
ICAS Mathematics aims
- Stimulate interest in Mathematics
- Provide an opportunity for all students to gain a measure of their own skills in Mathematics in an external assessment situation
- Monitor individual progress in a range of subject related skills
- Recognise and reward achievement at all levels
- Provide students, parents and teachers with a comprehensive analysis of student performance
- Identify and enable students strengths to be recognised and weaknesses to be remedied
- Provide students, parents and teachers with a comprehensive analysis of student performance.
What does ICAS Mathematics test?
ICAS Mathematics covers a wide variety of skills and processes that are an integral part of Mathematics:
- Algebra and Patterns – Involves patterns of numbers, relationships between numbers and the use of symbols to stand for unknown or variable numbers.
- Chance and Data or Statistics and Probability – Involves mathematical treatment of data and statistics.
- Measures and Units – Involves properties of the physical world that can be measured, the units used to measure them and the process of measurement.
- Number and Arithmetic – Involves types of numbers, their properties and number operations. The strand has strong links with Measures and Units, Algebra and Patterns and Chance and Data. It also has some links with Space and Geometry.
- Space and Geometry – Involves the properties of two-dimensional and three-dimensional space.
There are differences in content across papers to ensure they are appropriate for year levels.
Papers Introductory, A, B, C, D and E – levels Std 2 to Form 1
- Calculators are not permitted.
- Five areas of Number and Arithmetic, Patterns, Measurement and units, Space, and Chance and Data are tested.
- Formal algebra and geometry are not tested (except for a few item in Form 1).
Papers F, G, H, I and J – levels Form 2 to Upper 6
- Calculators are required.
- Five areas of Number and Arithmetic, Algebra and Patterns, Measurement and units, Space and Geometry, Statistics and Probability are tested.
Conditions of entry
ICAS Mathematics is open to all students from Std 2 to Upper 6. Students should sit the paper for the Year in which they are currently enrolled in Malaysian schools. If you are unsure about the appropriate paper for your students, please check out our Paper to year level equivalent or contact us for assistance.
|Paper||Breakdown of Questions||Test Duration|
|Introductory||30 multiple choice||35 minutes|
|A||40 multiple choice||45 minutes|
|B||40 multiple choice||45 minutes|
|C||40 multiple choice||45 minutes|
|D||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|E||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|F||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|G||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|H||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|I||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|
|J||35 multiple choice / 5 free response||1 hour|